-->

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Spaghetti Squash Burrito Bowls

I was inspired by a previous spaghetti squash recipe to create one with a Mexican flair. These Spaghetti Squash Burrito Bowls did the trick!  Make it with or without the beans -- depending on whether or not you want the added carbs.

Spaghetti Squash Burrito Bowls


21 Day Fix - Spaghetti Squash Burrito Bowls
Ingredients:
  • 2 medium spaghetti squash
  • 1 lb. lean ground beef or ground turkey
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 2 sweet bell peppers, finely chopped 
  • 4 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 14 oz. red kidney or black bean beans, drained & rinsed (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp. chili powder
  • 2 tbsp. diced canned chilies or jalapeños (or to taste)
  • 1 cup tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped + more for garnish
  • 4 blue containers Colby jack or Mexican cheese, shredded & divided
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
    2. Cut squash in half and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Lay skin side down on a rimmed baking sheet, lined with parchment paper, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 45 minutes, or until cooked to a touch with a fork.
    3. In the meanwhile, preheat medium skillet on medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add onion, garlic, bell pepper and sauté for 4 - 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add beans, chili powder, chilies/jalapeños, tomato sauce, cilantro and stir.
    4. Remove vegetable mixture to a bowl.  Keep warm.  Cook ground beef or turkey until thoroughly cooked through.  Combine with vegetable mixture.
    5. Remove from heat and add 1/2 of cheese. Stir again.
    6. Remove baked spaghetti squash from the oven and let cool a few minutes.
    7. Carefully remove spaghetti squash strands from the shell, trying to keep the shell intact.
    8. Combine spaghetti squash strands with meat and vegetable mixture.
    9. Fill each "boat" with 1/4 of the vegetable and meat mixture. 
    10. Divide remaining cheese among the 4 "boats", and sprinkle each evenly with cheese.
    11. Bake for additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve hot, garnished with extra cilantro.
    (21 Day Fixers: 1 serving [one "boat"] counts as 2 green, 1 red, and 1 blue. Count 1 yellow if you make these with beans.)

    Enjoy!  Would love your feedback, too.

    ALL THE BEST,

    17 comments:

    1. I just made this, and cut it in two because I only wanted to cook one squash- boy do I regret that choice!!! This is so delicious! I didn't use any meat, just beans because as a vegetarian that counts for our protein. So good!!! Thanks so much!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I mistakenly took turkey breakfast sausage out of the freezer to thaw in the refrigerator last night. I followed the recipe exactly, with the exception of the turkey sausage. DELISH!!! I'm not sure what this does to my 21 day counts, but I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I thought tomato sauce was a purple container?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I use diced tomatoes in mine, but I think you are right about tomato sauce.

        Delete
      2. I use diced tomatoes in mine, but I think you are right about tomato sauce.

        Delete
      3. Tomato sauce is a purple if it has sugar in it. If you find a brand with no added sugars, then it's a green.

        Delete
    4. This has become a regular on my meal plan. Trying it with chicken sausage tonight!

      ReplyDelete
    5. I have not included it in the past. I am just starting to add it to a recipes going forward. But since you asked, I did the analysis on this recipe and added it ;). Please let me know if that helps. Techlazy.com Crazyask.com Howmate.com

      ReplyDelete
    6. I’m always looking for new recipes that help us cut back on the processed alternatives. Thanks for sharing this recipe.UpdateLand

      ReplyDelete
    7. can you do this in the crock pot?

      ReplyDelete
    8. Looks like these Spaghetti Bowls are just perfect for the recipe. Many thanks!

      ReplyDelete