So, you may or may not know that for the past few years, I've been experiencing what I've come to believe are symptoms of being hypothyroid. I had a pituitary adenoma many years ago -- it was removed and was benign -- and I also have read that this predisposes me to being hypothyroid. I have had a few light tests done, and my ranges came back in the "normal range" BUT NOT in the "optimal range".
So, as I work through finding a new physician who will work with me and my symptoms, I wanted to try to see if changing up my nutrition intake will help alleviate at least some of my symptoms.
I have read that the Paleo diet or the 21 Sugar Detox can be of assistance with symptom alleviation. And, also with weight-loss.
So, with the 21 Day Sugar Detox, I am basically eliminating: sugar (in any form, in any amount—no honey, maple syrup, date sugar, no sweeteners at all–not even a small amount in salad dressing), all processed foods, grains, legumes, gluten, and white potatoes.
Make no mistake -- sugar is in EVERYTHING. So, these things are key:
- Read your labels. Sugar is disguised as many other ingredients. Sucrose, dextrose, etc.
- Read up on the program. Know what you can have and can't have.
- Make a plan. Research -- I used Pinterest -- tons of recipes that sound good to you and that you can adapt for your family, too.
- Meal-prep! Since this plan allows for NO processed foods, you need to have food on hand. Especially for those times you need to grab-and-go.
So, to MY REVIEW of the first week (almost) of the 21 Day Sugar Detox:
- It really isn't as hard as I thought it was going to be! My detox "symptoms" were pretty minimal. Once I got through the first 1-2 days, I was fine. I had a dull headache for the first two days. And, my first night of sleep was pretty horrendous. Since then, I've been sleeping like a baby.
- I am loving the food. I don't feel deprived at all. I've only had a very small craving for additional fruit and a few crackers. Crackers are my downfall though, so that's pretty standard for me.
- I feel GREAT. I have more energy. My skin is clearing up. My digestive issues are nearly GONE (if you want more "TMI-style" specifics, feel free to message me. I'll share!) And -- weirdly -- I glanced at my reflection in the mirror today and the deep, dark circles that I usually have under my eyes were nearly gone. I'm not sure if that's normal or not? I'll take it.
- I haven't gotten on the scale yet. I am hoping for a bit of weight-loss, but honestly? The way that I feel is MORE than worth this.
I'm eating properly AND getting a great 30-minute workout in. Talk about treating the body right. And, feeling GREAT!
If YOU need a REAL-Solution for your health and fitness goals (NOT a resolution!), I would love to chat with you. Find a workout that works for YOU, personally. And a nutrition plan that works for YOU, personally!
I also have a FREE 7-Day Clean-Eats Crockpot Challenge coming up. Free! Check it out.
Would love to help YOU create YOUR "Success Story" in 2015!
ALL THE BEST,