Made from ingredients you likely have in your pantry and refrigerator. Comfort food at it’s best.
Homemade Tomato Bisque
- 2 tbsp. organic coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 cloves, garlic, minced
- 32 oz. vegetable broth (no sugar added)
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (28 oz.) whole tomatoes (no sugar added)
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste (no sugar added)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. red cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 cup from a can of full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- a couple of dashes Tobasco sauce
- Heat the coconut oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the onion and carrot and sauté for about 8-10 minutes. Until the onion looks translucent.
- Add the garlic and sauté a couple more minutes.
- Pour in the broth, water, tomatoes, tomato paste.
- Add the bay leaf, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and basil.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes. Stir a couple of times to make sure it is not sticking.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Now you need to blend the soup. You can either use and immersion blender until it is completely smooth or Use a blender. Blend in batches until the soup is smooth.
- Return the tomato soup to the pot by pouring it through a sieve.
- Reheat the soup and add the coconut milk, salt and pepper. Do not bring to a boil or cook too high after the coconut milk has been added.
- Taste to see if you need more salt or pepper. They can always add a little at the table.
- Serve and enjoy!
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups
Original recipe from which I modified: Vegan in the Freezer
ALL THE BEST,